Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gov. Gregoire’s statement on P-I Closure

OLYMPIA – Gov. Chris Gregoire today released the following statement on the closure of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

“I am saddened at the loss of a great Washington newspaper, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and especially saddened that most of the newspaper’s dedicated staff lost their jobs.

“Published since 1863, the P-I has carefully reported the vital news of Seattle and Washington since territorial days. The P-I chronicled everything from the Klondike Gold Rush to the Great Depression, two world wars, state and local politics, and the evolution of our amazing business sector from Boeing to Microsoft. That’s a lot of history, and the P-I’s passing is a sad day for the people of Seattle and of Washington.

“I salute the P-I and its employees. And I wish the Hearst Corporation well in its venture to reinvent the newspaper as an on-line publication.”

No comments: