Friday, January 9, 2009

Holmberg announces candidacy for Vancouver School Board

VANCOUVER, Wash. – Nelson Holmberg has announced his intent to run for a position on the Vancouver Public Schools Board of Directors.

“A friend of mine recently said to me, ‘you should think of it as a calling when you realize you want to make a difference for kids’,” Holmberg said. “I think he was absolutely right, and that’s partly why I’m running for the school board. I don’t have a big bank account to help out our schools, but I do have desire, interest and energy that I want to use to make a difference for kids.” Holmberg was one of the candidates considered for an appointment to the school board in 2007, when Mark Stoker was appointed after a resignation created an opening. Holmberg, who has since been a regular attendee at school board meetings, will run for position three.
“I’m very familiar with the challenges that public schools face,” Holmberg said. “But solutions must be found and I believe that, with fresh thinking, we can continue to raise the bar on learning, and help students graduate truly well-prepared for the world in which they will be competing.” Holmberg, 42, advocates full state funding for public education, thoughtful and realistic learning standards, replacement of the Washington Assessment of Student Learning (WASL), embracing transparency and accountability of the school board, and responsible and reasonable district spending.

“By combining all of those ideals, communicating with and advocating for the people in our schools – from the students to the principals – it is my belief that this school district will be better than ever at providing solid building blocks that prepare students for life after high school,” Holmberg said.

No comments: